Today, Off the Maine Road is going on an adventure. It’s an adventure which crosses state borders, into the state of New Hampshire. We’re taking a weekend off from Vacationland and will be going on a vacation of our own.
A short journey to the Northwest of Portland along Route 302 brings us to North Conway, New Hampshire. It’s a destination known for its activities during the summer and winter. One of the most valuable guides to the area is on this website. I’ll briefly mention some of my favorites in this post.
There are a number of good hotels and bed and breakfasts in the area, which are all on the guide below. For families, the Red Jacket Mountain View Resort is a good choice, with an indoor waterpark called Kahuna Laguna in the hotel.
The Flatbread Company has some of the best artisanal pizza in town. It’s thin-crusted, and cooked in a brick oven right next to you. They also have a location in Portland, among others. Another upscale choice is dining on the historic Conway Scenic Railroad. There’s a Ben and Jerry’s right across from the railway station.
Shopping in North Conway can be divided into two parts: the outlets and stores in the center of town. Settlers’ Green Outlet Village contains many of the store you may be looking for, but the L.L.Bean outlet is just down the street. The main street in town (White Mountain Road) across from the railroad station is full of small shops chock-full of gifts and other New England goodies. Zeb’s General Store is one of the biggest.
If you’ve ready Off the Maine Road before you’ll notice that I like lists, so I’ll mention my suggestions in a list format.
- King Pine Ski Area
- Attitash Mountain Resort – a large ski area
- Cranmore Mountain Resort – great skiing in the winter, and ziplining, gokarting, and hill tubing in the winter. Great views of New Hampshire’s White Mountains.
- Although a little far, a trip to the Mount Washington Observatory is quite cool.
- The Conway Scenic Railroad offers excursions into the valley by historic train.
- Visiting Diana’s Baths is a nice natural hike to some small, pristine waterfalls.
- Saco Canoe Rental Company lets you rent various pieces of equipment to enjoy the adjacent Saco River, which actually starts in New Hampshire and flows into the Portland, Maine ares.
That’s it for now. Next time you’re left with a free weekend, consider North Conway as a possible destination!
See the gallery below for photos of North Conway’s dining, shopping and attractions.